Surgery Implant Mini-Residency
A RARE 24-day, 12 session (over 2 years, every other month for two days) comprehensive patient-based hands-on experience!
The Surgical Implant Mini-Residency was developed by Dr. Joan Pi-Anfruns and Dr. Richard G. Stevenson to create an in depth, evidenced-based deep learning course for general practitioners to become proficient at implant dentistry. The course is spread out over 24 months, and held during weekends, thereby allowing participants to participate in the entire process from treatment planning, digital workflow, guides, grafting, fixture placement, second stage surgeries, complications, provisionalization, and restoration. You many join the continuum at any time, as the basic concepts are continuously being reinforced at each session. We provide the majority of the patients for this course, however, many participants prefer to bring patients from their practices to treat under our guidance.
During each session, participants will participate directly in live patient surgeries.
- A comprehensive review of the entire implant process
- Scientific basis for osseointegration
- CBCT interpretation
- How to start each procedure with the end result in mind
- The surgical treatment planning approach
- Extracting teeth atraumatically
- Immediate implant placement techniques
- Fabricating and using guides
- Digital workflow and fully guided surgery
- Freehand surgical technique
- All-On-X techniques
- PIC protocol
- A comprehensive review of soft tissue grafting
- Advanced free and connective tissue grafting techniques
- Suturing techniques
- Using bone grafts
- Blood drawing and using PRF
- How to make implant crown provisionals
- How to take fixture level impressions
- How to prevent and manage implant complications
- Alternative implant techniques
- Using short implants
- How to manage the unstable fixture
- How minimize complications through knowing what most just don’t know
- Case presentations
- How to plan every case with the final prosthesis in mind
- How to competently place and restore implants in your practice
- Be able to understand how to recognize early problems
- How troubleshoot and mitigate problems
- Preventing failures through understanding the biology and mastering the technique
*Those opting to treat patients must maintain a CA dental license, however, patients may be treated under the care of Dr. Pi for those traveling from out of state and abroad.
All materials are included. Patients pay a reduced fee during the course for implant surgeries.
Our faculty have extensive knowledge and expertise in this area and our courses are small (limited to 8 with Drs. Pi and Stevenson), and conducted in our learning facility in San Dimas, California, a very safe and clean community, located only 15 minutes west of Ontario International Airport.